Home

East Melbourne Historical Society

Drop-down menu

  • Articles
  • People
    • Notable Women
    • WW1 soldiers and nurses
    • WW1 nurses
  • History
    • Milestones
    • Buildings
    • Community
    • People
  • Gallery
    • Maps
    • MMBW plans
    • Abortion battles
    • Bishopscourt
    • Bishopscourt garden
    • Bomb shelter
    • Buildings
    • Cairns Memorial Church
    • Early Melbourne
    • Football
    • Jean Campbell
    • Lanes
    • Margaret McLean
      • Family and home
      • Female suffrage
      • Clippings - Australia
      • Clippings - Britain
      • Clippings - USA
    • Personalities
    • Yarra Park
      • History
      • Desecration
    • Yarra River
  • Catalogue
    • Browse and Search
    • Catalogue table view
    • Site images
  • Images
  • Society
    • Activities
    • Newsletters
    • Tributes
      • John Barrie Wykes
      • Wynne McGrath
    • Publications
    • About
Home
    • Home
    • Search
    • Forum
    • Contact

East Melbourne, Clarendon Street 068, 070, Vizard House

East Melbourne

  • 68 Clarendon Street
  • 70 Clarendon Street

Building names

  • Vizard House

Surnames

  • Chapman
  • Cockram
  • Grainger
  • Newman
  • first
  • ‹ previous
  • 36 of 245
  • next ›
  • last
Move your mouse over image or click to enlarge
Date built: 
1908
Architect: 
Grainger, Kennedy & Little
Builder: 
T. Cockram
First owner: 
Austin Chapman
Description: 

A pair of single fronted two storey houses of red brick with cement dressings. The verandahs and balconies are in the form of arcaded galleries and there is a gable above. The style derives mainly from the tudor.

History: 

Sir Austin Chapman (1864-1926) was an important participant in the push for Federation. He was a delegate to the 1890 Federation Conference in Melbourne; was elected to the first Parliament as member for Eden-Monaro and remained a member to the end of his life. He was minister for Defence and for Health at different times and was also Post Master General. He has been referred to as the Father of Canberra for his influence in moving parliament from Melbourne to Canberra. He was a native of NSW but as a member of parliament had to spend a great deal of time in Melbourne.

The houses were originally built as self contained flats, making them amongst the earliest in Melbourne. They were built on part of the land originally reserved as the site of the future Church of England cathedral.

Two years later Chapman built another pair of matching houses, although slightly narrower, next door, making a terrace of four. The later two, Nos 64-66, were demolished to make way for the high rise Cliveden apartments.

In 1979 the properties were owned by Dr. J.W. Newman. Currently they are known as Vizard House and provide accommodation for families of patients attending the nearby Peter McCallum Hospital.

Prior to demolitions Nos 64-66 had been the subject of a makeover and they can be seen at the right of the photo. A newspaper article reporting on the proposed renovation appeared in The Age in 1961, see link below.

Owners and occupiers: 

1911 Mrs. Clare Turner [68]; Austin Chapman [70]

Sources: 

City of Melbourne Rate Books City of Melbourne Notices of Intent to Build Reg. No. 1077, 14 Oct. 1908 Burchett, Winston and Butler, Graeme N. Conservaton Study of East Melbourne 1979 The Age, 26 Apr 1961, p.3 https://news.google.com/newspapers?id=EpVVAAAAIBAJ&sjid=s7EDAAAAIBAJ&pg=...

  • first
  • ‹ previous
  • 36 of 245
  • next ›
  • last
Location map:
Javascript is required to view this map.
  • Login or register to post comments
  • 9955 reads
  • Share this
  • PrintPrint
  • EmailEmail

User login

  • Join EMHS
  • Request new password
  • Privacy
  • Membership
  • About
  • Contact
  • Guidelines