This is the collection of building histories written and maintained by the East Melbourne Historical Society.
You can find a particular history by zooming and panning the map. Or you can search the list with the fields below the map.
Using the map
Zoom and pan using the tools at the top left of the map or by dragging and scrolling with your mouse.
Hovering over a marker will show the title of the building history.
Click on a marker to show a summary and a link to the building history page.
Using the search fields
The list is sorted by title alphabetically:
Suburb first, then Street name, then Street number.
Restrict the list by entering something in one of the form fields and clicking "Apply".
To return to the complete list clear all form fields and click "Apply".
Jolimont, Jolimont Street, 88,86
The house appears as a wide 2-storey rendered house with gently hipped slate roof and bearing a modern verandah.
Although this building appears as a single house it started out as two small cottages. On 30 November 1864 John Sinclair notified the Council that John Holmes would build him a cottage. The Rate Books subsequently listed the cottage as having four rooms.
Jolimont, Jolimont Terrace 012
Two storey single fronted house, built of blue stone with cream brick and terracotta dressings.
Built in 1868 by Thomas Newton for Alexander Leslie to the design of architects Crouch and Wilson. The verandah and balcony are not original and the house probably had a single storey verandah originally. The two storey rear service wing was added circa 1920.
Jolimont, Jolimont Terrace 014
The street numbers in Jolimont Terrace changed c.1950 consequently the house now numbered 14 was previously numbered 40. This has caused some confusion in pursuing its history. Winston Burchett in his research in the 1970s, had it correctly identified as the house built for David Gibson, who owned Gibson's Flour Mills on the corner of Queensberry and Leicester Streets, Carlton.
Jolimont, Jolimont Terrace 016
A two storey cement rendered house in the Renaissance Revival style. It has four windows above a four bay arcaded verandah.
In the late 20th century the house was used as offices but more recently has been converted to two apartments, one up and one down.
Jolimont, Jolimont Terrace 018, The Crib
An unusual turn of the century design, asymmetrical in form and using Queen Anne materials of red brick, roughcast, shingles and terracotta tiles. There is some Art Nouveau influence in the verandah piers which extent beyond the eaves and in the decorative treatment applied to the name and the piers. The garden form is intact and the colour scheme is appropriate. [i-Heritage, link below]
Old street number: 34
This house was built as one of a matching pair in 1859 for Charles Hotson Ebden. On Ebden's death in 1867 his son, Charles John Ebden, inherited the house. He and his mother and sisters had moved to England after Ebden's death and Charles jnr. was very much an absentee landlord.
Jolimont, Jolimont Terrace 026, Marnoo
xxxx
Previously this was number 24
Jolimont, Jolimont Terrace 036, 38
See The Herald, 28 Aug 1940: https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/243327898
Jolimont, Jolimont Terrace 28, Bromo House
One of a pair of 2 storey ruled render terraces with quoins to corners and plain moulded string course to parapet. The timber fretwork single storey verandah is believed to be the original form. The stables to the rear are noteworthy. [from i-Heritage Database]
One of a pair of houses built at the same time by the same builder but for different owners. This house was built for John Munro Bruce, father of Stanley Melbourne Bruce. He married, at the house, his wife, Mary Ann Henderson in 1872, and remained there through the birth of their first child the following year, but then moved to St. Kilda.
Jolimont, Palmer Street 001, 003, 005
A row of three two storey terrace houses extensively remodelled.
The three terrace houses at 1-5 Palmer Street, Jolimont were built in 1888 by F McIntosh for Thomas Care. If there were an architect involved his name is not known. However the previous year Thomas Care had the same builder erect a house at 21 Charles Street, which runs at right angles behind the Palmer Street houses.
Jolimont, Palmer Street 009
A symmetrical three storey apartment block finished in rendered brick. The building presents as two projecting wings with the central recessed entry rising through the full height of the building to break the terracotta tiled roof at the eaves line. Balconies extend half way across each level. Several of these have now been built in.
The Hermitage, a block of twelve flats, was built in 1937 by the General Construction Co Ltd to the design of O H Jorgensen for husband and wife, Nicholas and Margot O’Donohue. The Hermitage was so named in memory of the house previously on the site, which was a small timber dwelling annexed to Governor Charles La Trobe’s cottage next door, and used by him as guest quarters.
Jolimont, Wellington Parade South 101, Redcourt
This is a large tuck-pointed red brick dwelling in the Queen Anne style with terracotta tile roof, pebble dash panels and timber strapwork to the eaves. [i-Heritage Database]
As is well known Jolimont was once the home of lieutenant-governor Charles Joseph Latrobe, purchased by him in 1839. When he returned to England in 1854 he left his friend, Dr James Palmer, in charge of subdividing and selling his land. Palmer kept for himself the central part of the property, which became known as Jolimont Square. On it he built five large, two-storey, timber
Jolimont, Wellington Parade South 117, Mornington
Large 3-storey house built of polychrome brick
As is well known Jolimont was once the home of lieutenant-governor Charles Joseph Latrobe, purchased by him in 1839. When he returned to England in 1854 he left his friend, Dr James Palmer, in charge of subdividing and selling his land. Palmer kept for himself the central part of the property, which became known as Jolimont Square. On it he built five large, two-storey, timber
Jolimont, Wellington Parade South 141, 143, 145
Double fronted, single storey house. Rendered. Verandah
The address of this house was originally 65 Jolimont Parade, in 1890 it became 141 Wellington Parade South. It is now known as 143-145, while a property to the rear has been given the number 141.
Jolimont, Wellington Parade South 167
Single storey house with verandah on two sides.
The house that originally occupied the corner of Wellington Parade and Jolimont Road was a single storey house of six rooms. The house took up most of its site with just a thin strip of garden along its Jolimont Road frontage. This was overlooked by a long verandah which continued around the Wellington Parade corner.